You may study Japanese for a short term (maximum 6 months) with a short-stay visa. Requirements for obtaining a short-stay visa vary depending on your nationality. Please contact the Japanese embassy in your country for details.


Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan 

If you wish to learn Japanese for a longer period of time (3 months to 2 years), you need to obtain a College Student Visa.

If you are from the countries listed below, you may apply for a working holiday visa. With a working holiday visa, you can study Japanese during your stay in Japan.

★ Australia

★ New Zealand

★ Canada

★ Korea

★ France

★ Germany

★ England

★ Ireland

★ Denmark

★ Taiwan

★ Hong Kong (from January 2010)